This light and tasty dish captures the flavors and colors of summer!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 small summer squash (zucchini or yellow), ends trimmed
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed or cooked from dry (or other bean of choice)
- 3/4 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (try a variety of colors of tomatoes)
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, bite sized pieces (can omit for vegan dish)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (can substitute dry)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- To make the dressing, combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl or jar and whisk/shake to combine and set aside. (Tip: you can use a immersion blender of other small blender to emulsify dressing faster and more completely)
- Use a spiralizer to make the squash into “noodles.” (Tip: Spiralizer not necessary: you can use a vegetable peeler or slice by hand instead.)
- In a large bowl, combine noodles, beans, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil. Toss to combine ingredients, drizzle dressing over salad and season with salt and pepper, to taste. (Tip: If you prefer a warm dish, you can heat veggie noodles over medium-high heat with olive oil for 3-5 minutes and then combine with other ingredients to finish.)
Explore variations on this dish by trying different types of beans or cheeses- the combinations are endless!