Picnic season is here! Try a plant-based twist on an old classic!
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 3 tbsp sunflower seed butter or tahini
- 1/4 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1/2 small red onion, diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 dill pickles, diced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 slices of bread
- Add chickpeas to a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork or potato masher for texture.
- Then add pine nuts, sunflower seed butter, mustard, honey, red onion, garlic, lemon juice, pickles, salt, and pepper and mix with a spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Toast bread (optional) and prepare any other sandwich toppings you desire.
- Scoop your desired amount of filling onto two of the pieces of bread, add chosen toppings, and top with the other two slices of bread.
- Enjoy immediately or chickpea mixture will keep covered in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
It's not just a sandwich- try this chickpea salad as a dip for crackers and veggies, too!