We celebrated World Vegetarian Day on October 1st with this hearty, meatless meal.
- ½ cup cooked brown rice (1 cup of uncooked rice will make 2 cups cooked)
- ½ sweet potato, cubed and roasted
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 Tablespoons salsa
- 2-3 Tablespoons shredded cheese
- Prepare brown rice (this can be done ahead of time):
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add 1 cup rice.
- Return to a boil, lower heat and cover.
- Simmer (small bubbles) for 40 minutes.
- Stir to fluff. Let stand removed from heat for 5 minutes.
- Roast sweet potato, (this can be done ahead of time):
- Cut sweet potato into cubes.
- Toss with oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook at 400° F for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Build your Bowl:
- Start with brown rice as your base.
- Add sweet potatoes, avocado, black beans and salsa.
- Finish with shredded cheese if desired.
- Use rice cooker or pressure cooker to decrease cooking time.
- Prepare a few sweet potatoes at one time to incorporate in meals throughout the week.